Thursday 19 February 2015

How to Bake The Delicious Red Velvet Cake

Hello loves, how are you doing? How was your valentine's day celebration? I hope you had some love and gave a bunch too. Well, I was supposed to put up this post like a week back but I got swamped with work, I'm really sorry. The good news is, it's never too late to show some love and I know many have been waiting for this recipe so I'm glad to finally be sharing this. Yes, again as always, this is from our food blog.




With Valentine's day just a few days away, I think a good cake recipe is in order. When I thought of a cake to make this valentine, it was between a Chocolate cake and A Red velvet cake. Since there are already some Chocolate cake recipes on the blog, red velvet seemed the obvious choice.
Red velvet cake is a rich red coloured cake that is simply delicious. Whenever I make different cakes at home, my kids always ask for the red one first. This is a good recipe to use for an amazing cake for those special people in your life. Red velvet cake lovers, this is for you! xx.
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups canola oil
3 eggs
2 tsps vanilla oil
2 tsps red food colouring
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
Method
Pre-heat oven to 170 C.

Sieve flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder into a bowl. Add sugar to the bowl and whisk to mix properly. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and oil until it emulsifies. Add the food colouring, vanilla, apple cider vinegar and buttermilk. Mix well.
Add the dry ingredients slowly while still mixing. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Mix well until properly incorporated.

Pour evenly into three prepared 8 inch pans. Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes. Some ovens are hotter than some so the time might vary. Once a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, keep the cake down. Allow to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before turning on an iron rack to cool completely.
NOTE: I used a 6 inch pan because I wanted to make a few small hearts and some cup cakes. So I got two layers of 6 inches, four small heart cakes and 9 cup cakes from this mix.

Allow to cool properly before frosting. I used buttercream because I didn't have cream cheese at home and I wasn't about to go out just for cream cheese. To stack the cake, frost one layer of the cake and place the other layer on it. Cover completely with frosting or enjoy like that.



TIPS

If you don"t have Canola oil, any vegetable oil will do.


You can make homemade buttermilk by adding one tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to one cup of evaporated milk and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
You might need to add more red colour than I stated in the recipe. I've had experience with some brands of liquid red colouring not giving the desired colour unless you put a lot. Paste works better for me than liquid. If you are using paste just make sure it has no taste, some can really be bitter.
Don't pour the batter all at once into the pan to bake. If you do this, the bottom part of the cake will be dry, it might dome and the bottom might start burning while the top is not ready.
Okay lovelies, please try it out and share your experience with us. Till then, lots of love...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Emotions

Some of us have learned how dangerous emotions can be, if you let them control you. Emotions could put you to shame but even more dis...