Friday 31 October 2014

Learning English Language


Hello guys, how are you all doing? I hope you are doing great. I am, I got good news today and I'm so happy and thankful to God. The news outlets lately keep dishing us depressing information to the point where we are beginning to get immune to bad/terrible news. We don't even know how to feel or express our  sympathy anymore, it has become too much. For this reason, I celebrate any good news I get like my life's problems are all solved. Anyway, that's far from the topic today. English language is not as easy as you may think. I used to think I was a pro, but I learned to stop deceiving myself. It is very easy to get confused and for others with poor educational foundations, it is a really tough situation. I want us to go over some common errors we make in English language and hopefully, this will help someone. 


Mixed up words
Meaning
Examples
I’m vs. am
I’m – I am

Am – Present first singular of “be”
I’m tired of people mixing up “I’m” with “am”.
Am I that annoying? (This is how you can start a sentence with “am”; make it a question).
They’re/ There/ Their
They’re – They are

There – 1. A particular location or point.
 2. Used as a function word to introduce a sentence or clause 3. Used as an indefinite substitute for a name
4. Capable of being relied on for support or help
5. Fully conscious, rational or aware

Their – Relating to or belonging to certain people, animals or things. Made or done by certain people, animals or things.
They’re hungry, please make them some food.

 1. I found him right there. We’ll take it from there.
2. There will be no discounts today.
3. Hi there.
4. She has always been there for me.
5. He’s not all there.


It is their right to vote for the candidate they want.
Don't go into their house.

Its vs. It’s
Its – Relating to or belonging to a certain thing, animal etc. Made or done by a certain thing, animal etc. Like the singular of “their” but not used on people.

It’s – It is, It has
The cat knows its food.
Every car has its unique features.


It’s time to go home.
They lost the match again, it’s been like this all season.



Your vs. You’re
Your – 1. Relating or belonging to you. Made or done by you.
2. Used to refer to any person or to people in general.
3. Used in the titles of royalty, judges, etc.
You’re – You are
1.       Is that your new purse?

2.       Your lives are in danger here.

3.       Your highness, Your majesty.

You’re pretty.
Been vs. Being
Been – Past participle of be

Being – 1.The state of existing
2. A living thing.
3. The basic part of a person’s mind or self
4. Used in the phrase for the time being
5. Usually used with as, as how, or that
I have been there. It has been this way since inception.

1.       I’m being investigated too.
2.       A human being
3.       I love you with the whole of my being
4.       For the time being, I’ll be sending you groceries.
5.       I can’t use you, being as, you live out of town.  

I hope I have been able to help someone today. At this point, I hope I haven't made any mistakes myself, being as I feel a little nudging in my head. Anyway, we learn everyday so don't hesitate to use your dictionary whenever you get confused. I always have a dictionary with me, thank God for smartphones. If you have anymore common errors you'd like to share, please don't hesitate to educate us. 

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I make these mistakes, but I sure am tired of running into them so often. Thanks for the writeup. I should come here more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so tired of running into them too. I'm glad you don't make them. Some people aren't that friendly with the language, I may need to write a part two. Thanks for stopping by, please do come around more often and tell a friend or two too, or maybe just all your friends :).

      Delete
  2. Good one.I love your courage.It's a good challenge.I'll try my best not to make such mistakes.I understand it kills anointing.I have been busy lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. Lol @ it kills anointing. It does kill something sha.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this. I strongly believe it is going to be of help to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly, really, honestly hope so :)

    ReplyDelete

Emotions

Some of us have learned how dangerous emotions can be, if you let them control you. Emotions could put you to shame but even more dis...