Monday 6 October 2014

Groundnut Soup

Hey guys, how are you all doing? I hope you're getting better by the day. Today, I bring you a delicious recipe. It's a Nigerian soup loved and enjoyed by many. Without further ado, I introduce to you from our food blog *drumrolls*, Groundnut Soup Recipe!


When I went to the market some days ago, groundnut soup was far from my mind. But as I made my way through the market, the aroma of this soup hit me, and I realized I hadn't had it in a while. Because of my long throat I left the market that day with some things to make a small pot of soup.


This soup is eaten by many tribes in Nigeria but the mode of preparation is different. This is one of the ways I make mine. When I was growing up, my mum always fried her groundnut half-cooked before blending or grinding it. I will do a post on that too.

Ingredients
2 cups fresh groundnut, ground or blended
2 cups afang leaves
500g beef
100g cow skin (kpomo)
100g cow tripe (shaki)
1/3 cup palm oil
2 bulbs onions
4 habanero pepper
1/2 cup crayfish
3 stock cubes
5 fresh hot leaves, cut
A handful of black fungus
Salt to taste

Method


Blended raw groundnut
Wash the beef, kpomo and shaki. Put in a pot, add 1 stock cube, and salt to taste. Place the pot on fire and allow to boil for about two minutes, add six cups of water and allow to cook until ready. If the water gets too small before it gets ready, add some more water.


Cut the afang leaves into shorter strands. Wash black fungus and set aside.
Cut hot leaf

Pound or blend pepper, crayfish and 1 1/2 onions together. Cut the remaining onion and set aside.
Place a dry pot on fire and put the palm oil inside. When it gets hot, put the cut onions and a pinch of salt. Add the blended groundnut and stir. Stir until you start smelling the fried groundnut, about 2 minutes.

Turn the meat and stock into the groundnut pot, add the blended pepper mix, add the remaining stock cubes and stir properly. If it gets too thick, add some water, but not too much. Allow to cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occassionally to prevent burning.

Add black fungus, hot leaves and afang. Stir and allow to cook for 3 minutes. Check seasoning, allow to cook for about a minute more. Remove from heat and serve with eba, semovita or semolina, wheat, etc.




NOTE

The cup stated here is 250 ml.

Okay guys, there you have it. Please be sure to try it out and let us know how it turns out. Don't be a stranger, share your experience with us here. Lots of love...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Emotions

Some of us have learned how dangerous emotions can be, if you let them control you. Emotions could put you to shame but even more dis...