Wednesday 30 July 2014

For The Love of Food

Picture from www.korje.com

Hey guys? How are we all doing? I know I have told you food makes me happy right? Yes, so today, I'll like to share with you one of my favorite soups-Banga soup. I know how Niger Delta restaurant in Wuse 2, Abuja drained my cash in the name of Starch and Banga. I totally love that dish and so I'll say it was worth it, but my small money started finishing anyhow and so I had to cut down drastically. Now, because I love you and I believe I have partners out there who love this soup, I will gladly share the recipe with you (not mine oh- I'm learning too). Follow me darlings...



Banga soup is made from the extract of fresh boiled red palm fruits. It is common among the people of Southern Nigeria. There are slight variations in the way the different tribes prepare it.

Being from Cross River State and growing up in Calabar, I ate this soup quite often. My sisters and I experimented a lot with this soup, we have used afang leaves, water leaves, atama, and I think bitter leaf, and they all turned out to be delicious. This soup is always a hit with everyone, I am yet to meet anyone who doesn't like banga soup. The red colour of ripe palm fruits is as a result of the presence of beta-carotene and lycopene which are powerful antioxidants.





Ingredients

1 mudu fresh palm fruits

500g goat meat

500g cow head

1 big onion bulb

4 fresh pepper

4 stock cubes

1 cup crayfish

1 1/2 tsp banga spice

salt to taste


Method

Wash the fresh palm fruits and place in a pot. Add water to just cover the palm fruits and boil.

Wash the meat thoroughly, season with one stock cube and salt to taste. Cook until soft, the meat stock should be almost dry.
When the palm fruits are ready (the skin will be soft), transfer to a mortar and pound gently.


 When it is ready, put some warm water into the mortar and begin to squeeze the pounded palm fruits with the palm of your hand to separate the chaff from the palm fruit extract. Sieve the liquid. Do this twice using more water the first time than the second. Be careful not to use too much water so your soup does not end up too watery. 


Transfer the extracted liquid to the pot with the meat, and cook. Add the pounded crayfish mixture, stock cubes and banga spice. Add salt to taste. Allow to boil for about ten minutes.

Add the atama leaves and cook for about five minutes. Remove from heat.



Serve with eba, starch, pounded yam or any swallow of your choice.


That's it folks, try it out and let's know how it turns out okay, and oh don't forget to follow her blog for more delicious recipes at www.korje.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Emotions

Some of us have learned how dangerous emotions can be, if you let them control you. Emotions could put you to shame but even more dis...