Wednesday 19 February 2014

Self-esteem Vs Discrimination

picture from http://www.ggcs.eu/
Hi people, what's up? Sometime not too long ago, thoughts about how we perceive ourselves and how we perceive others of varying backgrounds and positions kept flooding my mind. I usually try to understand things by relating them with the people around me and myself, it makes it easier for me. I have a lot of people around me to make valid statistical deductions, yup! So respect my "facts", okay? Now, the focus of this is on people with healthy/high self-esteem; people who are highly satisfied with themselves and their achievements in life. I'm talking about those confident in themselves and their abilities. I'm sure you can think of one or two people in your life that fits this description. Heck! you should be one of them. 


As much as a healthy self-esteem is seen to be positive, I think it can also be detrimental to others who unfortunately are struggling with the case of the opposite. Well, it all depends on how we handle it. I know so many people with super self-esteem  and yet are humble. However, somehow, I believe unconsciously, we tend to impose our superiority on others, albeit subtly and again unconsciously. If we don't impose it, we at least think it. Let's be honest here, remember, no judgement.  Let me play instances; there's a new player on your football team who is really good, he is hot and all the girls flock around him but he was raised in the "village", now no matter how good and cool he is, you still see him as a "village boy". A scene for the ladies? Ok, say, you reunite with your secondary school mate in an office environment (now your superior) who used to be really dirty, messy, slow, one of the "not so populars" and now she's transformed to this hot stuff; intelligent, always dressed on point with an air of sweet elegance. Somewhere within, you still see her as that messy little girl she used to be and even though she's your superior in the office, you still feel like some of her ideas are as lame as her contributions in secondary school. 

I gathered this fact after various discussions with friends and acquaintances. Say, you who knows nothing about this person's past sees and compliments his hotness or her intelligence, there's always some mention of who he/she used to be and it is usually followed with a condescending tone. That's where the "I'm better than her"  aura manifests. Now, my question is, is this ego or hidden insecurities? What pushes humans to discriminate against their fellow humans based on what they wear or how they look or where they are from? It's crazy really, I just gave easy samples but it goes as far as one thinking he is better than another because that other comes from a certain state or is younger or is fat. It even happens among married couples. I mean it! I've seen this a lot. 

My Honest Opinion: I'm not certain about the world getting to the point where we all see one another as equals. Honestly, I highly doubt the chances. However, I believe we can work on the "little" ones. I mean, let's try to accept and respect one another. We are all different and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Believe in yourself, yes, love yourself, yes, but in doing this, you don't have to pull others down. I hope we understand this, I'm a bit fuzzy at the moment and it's time to run. 

Can any of you relate to this or is this all strange news? Please share in the comment box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Emotions

Some of us have learned how dangerous emotions can be, if you let them control you. Emotions could put you to shame but even more dis...