Wednesday 20 January 2016

The Miracle Sour Sop Fruit


Photo credit: http://www.fruitipedia.com/

Hey guys, how are you all doing? It's been a minute. I've been meaning to educate us on the health segment for a while now. This year, I really want to try to make more healthy decisions everyday. The thing with me and I'm certain many others is not really the starting but the keeping at it. It's so hard to stay motivated but we have to keep trying and make it a habit and then a lifestyle. I'll say so far, I've made a little progress with my eating habit, it's not perfect yet but much better, okay maybe not much but better. Exercises have dropped to just one routine every night, far from enough. I shall stop the self scolding now and head on to today's topic. Today, I want to share the awesome benefits of the deliciously juicy fruit; Sour Sop.

Sour sop fruit is a juicy fruit characterized by it's green spiky back and soft white juicy pulp surrounded by black seeds. It is also known as Graviola in some parts of the world. It looks very similar to the custard apple fruit but usually larger. Don't get it twisted, sour sop is nothing close to sour, it is delicious and very very nutritious. 

Nutrients:

  • Vitamin C
  • Thiamin
  • Riboflavin
  • Niacin
  • Carbohydrates
  • Protein
  • Calcium
  • Magnesium
  • Copper
  • Phosphorus
  • Iron
Health Benefits 
  • Relieves stomach discomfort
  • Helps to alleviate respiratory problems 
  • Boosts immune system
  • Relives back pain
  • Helps to treat skin diseases like eczema and treats mouth ulcers
  • Fights lice in the hair
  • Said to fight various types of cancer better than chemotherapy
  • Prevents Osteoporosis 
  • Boosts energy level
  • Helps to fight Edema  
  • The root bark is use as an antidote for poisoning
  • Used to stop vomiting

Caution  

As with everything in life, the miracle fruit should be taken in moderation. We all know too much of anything could cause harm to us. Pregnant and lactating women are advised not to consume this fruit as the safety to babies has not been confirmed. There are reports claiming that consuming sour sop regularly could cause the development of Parkinson's disease. However, news has it that these findings were obtained using cultured neurons and not human test subjects so the data is not completely accurate. Better safe than sorry so like I said, everything in moderation. Caution Source. As always, consult your doctor when adding something new to your diet especially if you have an ailment or history of one.  

Recipes  

There are so many recipes made out of this miracle fruit; some purely for medicinal purpose, others for desserts. The pulp can be made into a smoothie, it is also used for ice cream and other desserts. The leaves are boiled and taken as tea with various specific instructions to treat different ailments and of course, the pulp can be devoured as it comes. You can try things out for yourself and share a recipe that works for you. 

You know the drill, we love to hear from you, please share your thoughts, advise, recipes etc at the comment section. Till then, stay healthy and fabulous. Lots of love.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Do you know what season Sour Sop is available? I don't think I have seen it around much. Maybe it's my location...Lagos.
    I'm quite curious about the fruit as I have not had a lot of "experience" with it. Mainly because I have been (shamefully) prejudiced against it's rough exterior and off-putting name. I would like to have a better relationship with it now though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! You're the second person I'm hearing this from. I guess I'm lucky to have been introduced to its deliciousness early in life. It's so nice, you should try it when next it's in season which may not be until next year. I think there are still a few trees producing now though so you may be lucky to get some from the market. However, the usual season is around Feb/March but I remember seeing some a couple of weeks back in the market. If you could get the younger sibling; custard seed - has a similar look but smaller, it's also very delicious, tastes almost identical actually. Try it out. They're amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Emotions

Some of us have learned how dangerous emotions can be, if you let them control you. Emotions could put you to shame but even more dis...